The great thing about making Christmas cupcakes is that the whole family can get involved, which is particularly fun for children when it comes to icing them and eating any leftover cake mix.
Here’s what you need to make perfect Christmas cupcakes, followed by a guide how to do it:
- 175g of butter and the same amount of golden caster sugar.
- Three eggs.
- 200g of self-raising flour.
- Zest of one orange, finely grated.
- 1tsp of vanilla extract.
- 4tbsp of milk (just whatever’s in the fridge, it doesn’t matter what type of milk).
- For the icing you need: one egg white, 4tbsp of orange juice, 175g of icing sugar, toppings and sprinkles of your choice.
You can swap out the orange for lemon or any other citrus fruit, depending on your own taste preferences.
Making Christmas Cupcakes
- Heat the oven to 190C and line your cake trays with cake cases; this mixture gives enough for 18 cupcakes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and leave for five minutes to stand and cool.
- Place the cooled butter and the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl, mix together for two minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
- Fill your cupcake cases with the mixture. Ideally, they should be three-quarters full, which is roughly a heaped tablespoon.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes, longer if necessary, the cakes should be a light brown colour and be firm to touch.
For the Icing
- Put the egg white and orange juice into a heatproof bowl, before adding the icing sugar through a sieve.
- Place over simmering water and whisk for at least seven minutes. The icing mixture should be glossy and able to stand in soft peaks; when it does this, remove from the heat and continue to whisk for a further two minutes.
- Have your sprinkles and added toppings to hand, and gently spoon the icing onto the top of the cakes, before adding your finishing touches immediately afterward. Leave to set, and voila! Perfect Christmas cupcakes.
These cakes will last for three days – if you can resist them enough for them to last that long – kept in a sealed cake tin in a cool place.