Bradfords Bakers Company History
|Bradfords was founded in 1924 by Mr Hugh Bradford with his sons, Hugh and William, within small bakery premises in Niddrie Road in the south side of Glasgow. The business was transferred to Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow during the 1930s where it remained under the partnership of this sons with one large, busy shop until 1969.|
|In December 1969the premises were sold and the third generation grandson of the founder Hugh Robert Bradford decided to continue on the family tradition by starting afresh with his wife Helen with only 3 employees in Torrisdale Street, Glasgow. The quality and range of goods was increased and a wide variety of bread was introduced, with wedding cakes becoming a particular speciality.|
|The business quickly outgrew the premises at Torrisdale Street and so the bakery was moved to new premises in Giffnock. From here the company grew to supplying a total of 9 retail outlets..|
|By 1982 the shortage of space had become so acute it became necessary to move again. This time to the present 2 acre site at the Waterfall Bakery.. In 1984 the company opened its first City Centre shop, in Cambridge Street, taking the opportunity to expand the range further to include hand made chocolates and also opening a separate tearoom.|
In 1989 our flagship shop was moved from Cambridge Street to its current location in Sauchiehall Street taking over the former Sir Hugh Fraser's department store. This site has the unique privilege of being the largest artisan bakers shop in the United Kingdom situated on three floors and occupying over 5,500 square feet of retail space.. The business has since expanded to supplying 12 retail outlets all within the Glasgow area.
May 1993 saw the opening of our newly expanded bakery.
The company continued to look forward, and in mid January 1998 launched a new associated company - Miss Cranstons Tearooms. This company brought back to Glasgow a famous tearoom name that disappeared in the mid 1950s. The tearoom has grown to become an important part of Glasgow culture and is now renowned throughout the world, with many tourists making a special trip to the tearoom on their travels to Scotland. Miss Cranstons is now a member of the Tea Council Guild of Teashops and features in their book "The Best Tea Places Guide".
Sadly in 2013 the retail shops closed due to the recession however we have been able to continue as a online business serving our customers.
Bradfords Bakers is still a family owned and operated business with Helen Bradford and her daughter Claire Bradford supported by our remarkable and skilled bakery staff who still to this day make traditional hand crafted products passed down since 1924.